*/ function add_hellobar_script() { echo '

Something New for Playhouse Door

Posted by on Apr 17, 2012 in butterflies, felt, playhouse | 12 comments

This week is dedicated to the transformation of the outside of the playhouse!!!  This weekend, she got a new paint job (with the help of my sweet family!)  You can see the before and after pics of the paint here.  I love the way the colors turned out.

We have plans of this being a place where the DaisyMaeBelle creations can come to life. . . a place to relax. . . a place to play.

A sort of inspiration room!

The front door was the first place to start!

The inspiration struck with this $2 yard sale find.  A great floral bucket.

Next, I punched a few holes in it using a hammer and an awl (that awl and hammer have seen better days!)  You could probably use a big nail to punch the holes.

 I punched 2 holes in the bottom so that water would not stay in the bucket when it rained.

And, 2 holes in the back so that I could add a hanger.

I used a piece of heavy wire to make a hanger with.

I added floral foam to the bottom to keep the branches secure.  I did not want you to be able to see them, so I pushed them down further in the bucket. (further? farther? I am not sure the rule on that one?)

Now with all of the mechanics out of the way. . . on to the fun part!  I used the tall sticks that you find in the “natural floral” section of the craft stores.  The branches were so tall, that the only way I could get a picture of them was to use some lovely assistants!  (Anna Belle and Daisy – now the name of my blog makes more sense?!)  I cut the branches in half to make them the right size.  It was cheaper to buy the longer ones and cut them in half than to buy 2 sets of the shorter ones!

Now for the butterflies!  I used outdoor material so that they would not fade as quickly.  I drew out a very simple butterfly to use for the pattern.  I pinned the pattern to the fabric and cut out 3 of one fabric and 3 of another fabric.  (Not sure why I only took a picture of 4 of the cut out butterflies?)

Each butterfly has 2 layers of fabric.  Placing the wrong sides together, I just sewed around the edges.  I decided to use 2 layers of fabric to give them a little more body.  (My gluing friends could use hot glue or a good fabric glue for this!)

Next, I folded a little crease in the center of the body and sewed a couple of stitches on the fold to give them a little more dimension.  (Again, glue would work.)

I decided to hot glue paper clips onto the back of the butterflies so that I could slide them on and off the branches.  The idea being that this is a “tree” that I could change out for the seasons.  (stars for the 4th of July, pumpkins for Halloween. . . you get the idea)

I cut leaves out of lime green felt that I made myself.  (Wash a 100% wool sweater on hot and dry on high and you have felt!)

I arranged the branches in the bucket and hot glued the leaves onto them.

Then, I added the butterflies.

I tied a beautiful wired ribbon around the bucket.

The finished product looks great on the door!

I have another plan in the works that I will show you tomorrow!

Life to the full to you today!

Skip To My Lou Making Tip Junkie handmade projects


Somewhat Simple Katie's Nesting Spot Lil\'Luna The Shabby Nest Photobucket

Craft Junkie Too Friend
Whipperberry Beyond The Picket Fence
freckled laundry


shabby creek cottage

A Little Inspiration

Photobucket

href=”http://www.theivycottageblog.blogspot.com/”> src=”http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss229/krystalwinn/hfd/cowgirl-up-003-button-4.jpg”
/>

52 Mantels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

12 Comments

  1. Very pretty:)

    • It is always so good to see the little birdhouse picture in my comments. . . I know that words of encouragement will follow 🙂 Thanks!

  2. Love this! I have a door decoration on my room door (because I live at my parents house and don’t have a pretty front door) and I think that this might be my next project! My sewing machine is a little rusty, but will soon be put to good use!

    • Yeah! Love to inspire someone to break out the sewing machine!

  3. Love it all!!!

    • Thanks! I am liking the transformation!

  4. My girls would love this! They are really into centerpieces right now, so maybe we could use it for that.

    • It would be great for that! And, your girls could help make the seasonal “add-ons!” Thanks for stopping by!

  5. This is absolutely adorable! I have been looking for something very similar to this. Great idea!

    • So glad that you like it! I think that it is going to be easy to change out for the holidays. I am already planning on making stars for the 4th of July! Thanks for stopping by!

  6. Love this! featured it tonight! Stop by and grab a featured button! 😉

    • Yippee!!! You guys made my day! Thanks for hosting such a great party!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Slipcovered Pillow and Playhouse - [...] continue to work on the playhouse.  She has come a long way!  She has gotten new paint, banners, front…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow Me